Jack Draper Urges Patience as Former World No. 4 Nears Return From Injury
- Aug 3
- 3 min read
LONDON — Jack Draper has urged fans to remain patient as he continues his recovery from a complex arm injury that has derailed his 2026 season, insisting that he is now closer than ever to returning to full fitness and beginning what he described as a “rebirth” in his career. The former world No. 4 has dropped to No. 147 in the rankings after missing all three Grand Slam tournaments this year, but he remains optimistic that his comeback is finally taking shape.
The British star recently withdrew from the DC Open because of the lingering arm problem, but he has been awarded a wild card for the National Bank Open in Montreal and is expected to attempt qualification for the US Open later this month. Draper is scheduled to play two tournaments before heading to New York, where he hopes to earn a place in the main draw and begin climbing back toward the top of the ATP rankings.

Draper admitted that the recovery process has been far more complicated than many people realise. Speaking to Sky Sports News, he explained that his injury cannot simply be solved by resting for a few weeks and returning to competition. “It’s important for people to recognise that the injury I have is very complex,” he said. “It’s not as simple as ‘rest and heal up and you’ll come back and be fine.’ Everything outside of tennis I’m doing amazingly well, and on the court I’m managing really well too. I’m happy that I will come through this period — it’s just going to take some time.”
One of the most significant developments during Draper’s rehabilitation has been the arrival of Sir Andy Murray on his coaching team. The three-time Grand Slam champion has brought valuable experience after overcoming numerous injuries during his own career. Draper described Murray as “a massive benefit” and credited him with helping him stay mentally strong through one of the most difficult periods of his professional life. The partnership has been widely welcomed within British tennis, with many believing Murray’s knowledge could play a crucial role in Draper’s long-term development.
Despite playing only five tour events in the past eight months and falling 143 places in the rankings, Draper remains confident that his best tennis is still ahead of him. “I’m in the best place that I’ve been in over the last year,” he said. “This has become a real patience game. It’s about getting the right workload, the right intensity and allowing everything I’m doing on and off the court to come together. I’m getting closer to the moment where I can really progress and stay on the court consistently, and I believe that moment is now.”

The 24-year-old acknowledged that several late tournament withdrawals have been frustrating for both himself and his supporters, but insisted that every decision has been made with the long term in mind. “Those are calls I’m making because I’ve got a long career ahead of me,” he explained. “I’ve had to go to tournaments to know exactly where I’m at physically. It really has been a perfect storm for me in a lot of ways.”
With the US Open beginning on August 30, Draper’s immediate goal is simply to return to regular competition and rebuild his confidence. However, his ambitions remain much bigger than that. The Brit believes that once he emerges fully from this injury nightmare, he can return to the level that once made him one of the most exciting young players in world tennis. “When I get out of this storm,” he said, “I’m going to be pushing on to get where I want to be — and beyond.”




Comments