top of page
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • YouTube

F1 prepares backup plans for 2027 calendar amid Middle East conflict concerns

  • Aug 4
  • 2 min read

Formula 1 ready with alternative options

Formula 1 has confirmed contingency plans are being prepared for the 2027 season calendar if the ongoing conflict in the Middle East continues to affect races.

F1 president Stefano Domenicali revealed that the sport has several possible scenarios ready, although organisers still hope to announce a “normal plan” later this year.

The 2027 calendar has not yet been released, unlike previous seasons when the schedule was usually confirmed by this stage. The delay comes as F1 continues to monitor the situation in the region.

Middle East races remain uncertain

The conflict has already affected the current Formula 1 season, with the Bahrain and Saudi Arabian Grands Prix cancelled earlier in 2026.

Domenicali explained that F1 would adapt if the situation remains unresolved, while maintaining the goal of keeping a 24-race championship.

“If the situation in the Middle East is not solved, we have options, different plans,” Domenicali said.

He added that while Formula 1 would need to adjust its schedule, the wider humanitarian situation remains the priority.

New venues considered for future calendars

Formula 1 is also exploring new destinations for future seasons.

The sport has already confirmed that Turkey and Portugal will return to the calendar, replacing Zandvoort and Barcelona from future schedules.

Any additional new races would likely not appear before the 2028 season, but F1 is currently in talks with several countries, including Rwanda, South Africa, Thailand and Argentina.

Argentina’s interest has grown significantly following the rise of Franco Colapinto’s popularity and impact on the sport.

Domenicali said discussions in Africa, South America and the Far East are progressing positively.

Hockenheim could make F1 comeback

Germany has also emerged as a surprise candidate for a future Grand Prix return, with Hockenheim showing interest in rejoining the calendar.

The iconic circuit last hosted Formula 1 in 2019 before financial difficulties forced it to disappear from the schedule.

However, new ownership and a different investment approach have opened the possibility of a comeback.

Domenicali confirmed that talks have already taken place, but stressed that significant investment would be required to meet modern F1 standards.

F1 focuses on long-term expansion

Despite current challenges, Formula 1 remains focused on expanding its global presence.

The sport is seeing renewed interest in traditional markets such as Europe while continuing to explore opportunities in new regions.

The 2026 season will resume after the summer break with the Dutch Grand Prix from August 21-23, with all sessions broadcast live on Sky Sports F1.

 
 
 

Comments


Subscribe to Receive Our PBC

About Us

POSTBOY CLUB is a digital news platform covering news, entertainment, sport, finance and lifestyle, delivering timely updates and clear, reliable reporting worldwide.

Download Our Mobile App

Join us on mobile!

Download the “POSTBOY CLUB” app to easily stay updated on the go.

Scan QR code to join the app
Download on the App Store
Get it on Google Play

© 2035 by TIG. Powered and secured by Wix

bottom of page