Rod Stewart suddenly cancels Las Vegas show just hours before showtime: Health reasons leave fans concerned.
- Jun 1
- 4 min read
Rod Stewart cancels Las Vegas shows on doctor’s orders due to illness, with vocal rest and sinus infection recovery prompting last-minute schedule changes
Rod Stewart has once again reminded audiences of the physical demands behind a decades-long touring career, after being forced to cancel two Las Vegas performances just hours before showtime. The 81-year-old singer was scheduled to take the stage at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace on May 29 and 30, but both shows were abruptly called off before doors opened, leaving fans with last-minute notifications and disappointment at one of the most anticipated stops in his residency schedule.

A representative for Stewart confirmed that the decision was made strictly on medical advice, stating, “Following his doctor’s advice, Rod Stewart has regretfully canceled his performances at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas on May 29 and 30, but is scheduled to return with shows beginning June 2.” The announcement made clear that the cancellation was temporary, with plans for the residency to resume shortly after a period of rest.
Stewart himself addressed the situation directly, offering an apology to fans and explaining the health issue behind the decision. “My apologies to my family of fans. I am on vocal rest as I recover from a sinus infection. I look forward to seeing you at a future show at Caesars Palace or on tour this summer,” he said, acknowledging both the frustration of last-minute changes and his intention to return to the stage once medically cleared.
The timing of the cancellation, reportedly communicated less than two hours before the scheduled start of the show, sparked immediate reactions among fans attending the residency. Some expressed disappointment over the abrupt nature of the announcement, while others voiced concern about the singer’s health and whether the demanding pace of live performances at his age may require further adjustments going forward.
Despite the setback, Stewart’s Las Vegas residency has remained a central part of his live performance schedule in recent years. The Colosseum at Caesars Palace has hosted numerous long-running residencies from major artists, and Stewart’s continued presence there underscores his sustained popularity as a live performer well into his eighth decade.
In public reactions online, opinions ranged from frustration to sympathy. One attendee noted receiving cancellation notifications shortly before the planned showtime, while others commented on the frequency of recent disruptions. At the same time, many fans emphasized that health should remain the priority, particularly given Stewart’s long-standing career and age.
This is not the first time Stewart has spoken publicly about the physical demands of performing. Over the years, he has consistently emphasized his commitment to maintaining his health and fitness in order to continue touring. Even as he previously announced a form of “farewell” from large-scale world touring, he clarified that this did not mean retirement from music altogether, but rather a shift in how he performs live.

“This will be the end of large-scale world tours for me, but I have no desire to retire,” he said in a prior statement shared on social media. “I love what I do, and I do what I love.” The sentiment has since defined this later stage of his career, where select residencies and performances replace the grueling schedules of global tours.
Born in London, Rod Stewart rose to fame in the late 1960s and 1970s as one of the most distinctive voices in rock and pop music. His career spans multiple eras and genres, from early work with the Jeff Beck Group and Faces to a highly successful solo career that produced global hits and cemented his status as one of the best-selling music artists of all time.
Known for his raspy voice and charismatic stage presence, Stewart has built a catalog that includes classics such as “Maggie May,” “Do Ya Think I’m Sexy?” and “Forever Young.” Over the decades, he has navigated shifts in musical trends while maintaining a consistent presence in both live performance circuits and recording projects.
His longevity in the industry is often attributed not only to his musical adaptability but also to his disciplined approach to fitness. In interviews, Stewart has frequently discussed his training routines and active lifestyle, including regular workouts, swimming, and running exercises that he credits for helping him maintain stamina on stage.
“I keep myself very fit,” he has said in past interviews. “I played soccer all my life – don’t so much anymore, because I had a knee replacement. And I’ve always had a trainer – same guy for 38 years.” His dedication to physical conditioning has become a notable part of his public persona, especially as he continues performing at an age when many of his contemporaries have retired.
Even during periods of recovery or reduced touring, Stewart has maintained a strong connection with his audience. His Las Vegas residency format allows him to perform without the physical strain of constant travel, while still delivering full-scale live shows supported by long-term production setups and repeat performances in a single venue.
In recent years, Stewart has also spoken candidly about aging in the music industry, balancing humor with realism. While he has joked about his fitness achievements, including sprint times and training routines, he has also acknowledged the need to adapt his career to his physical condition over time.

The latest cancellation adds to ongoing discussions about how legacy artists manage health while continuing to perform at a high level. Residency models like the one in Las Vegas have increasingly become a solution for veteran performers who wish to maintain active careers without the demands of global touring.
Despite the temporary setback, Stewart is still expected to return to the stage in early June, continuing his scheduled performances at Caesars Palace. His team has not indicated any long-term cancellations, suggesting that the current issue is being treated as a short-term health recovery period rather than a more serious interruption.
Fans attending future shows remain hopeful that the singer will make a full and swift recovery. Given his decades-long track record of resilience and continued activity in music, expectations remain that Stewart will resume performing as planned once medically cleared.

As one of the enduring figures in popular music, Rod Stewart’s career has consistently blended longevity, adaptability, and showmanship. While the recent cancellations highlight the realities of health challenges in later life, they also underscore the ongoing demand for his performances and the strong connection he maintains with audiences across generations.
For now, the focus remains on recovery, with both fans and organizers awaiting his return to the Las Vegas stage.




Comments