Coroner Rules Nobby Stiles' Death Was Linked to Repeated Heading of Footballs
- Jul 17
- 3 min read
England World Cup hero's brain disease linked to decades of heading the ball
England World Cup winner and Manchester United legend Nobby Stiles died from a combination of Alzheimer's disease and chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), with a coroner ruling that his repeated heading of footballs during his career significantly contributed to the fatal brain condition.
The conclusion was delivered at Stockport Coroner's Court, marking another major development in the growing debate over the long-term neurological risks faced by former professional footballers.
Medical experts found clear evidence of football-related brain trauma

Stiles, who passed away in October 2020 at the age of 78 after living with severe dementia, had donated his brain to scientific research before his death.
Neuropathologist Dr. Daniel Du Plessis told the inquest that although Stiles suffered from Alzheimer's disease, examinations also revealed advanced chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE)—a degenerative brain disease strongly associated with repeated head impacts.
According to the expert, Stiles headed a football approximately 140,000 times throughout his professional career.
"I am quite convinced his heading the football that many times caused his CTE," Dr. Du Plessis told the court.
Senior Coroner Alison Mutch accepted the medical evidence, concluding that Stiles would likely not have developed CTE without repeatedly heading footballs during his playing career.
A football icon remembered for club and country

Born in Manchester in 1942, Norbert "Nobby" Stiles became one of England's most iconic midfielders.
He earned 28 caps for England, played a crucial role in the nation's historic 1966 FIFA World Cup triumph, and made nearly 400 appearances for Manchester United, becoming one of the club's greatest-ever servants.
During his era, heading drills formed a routine part of training. The court heard that Manchester United players regularly practiced by repeatedly heading footballs suspended from the ceiling on strings at Old Trafford—without any awareness of the long-term health risks.
Family continues campaign for justice
Stiles' family has become one of the leading voices demanding greater accountability from football authorities.
His son, John Stiles, told the court that football had ultimately taken his father's life.
He also revealed that the family was forced to sell Nobby Stiles' treasured World Cup medals to help fund his dementia care.
John now leads Football Families for Justice (FFJ), a campaign group representing dozens of former players and relatives seeking legal action against football's governing bodies.
The group alleges that organizations including The Football Association (FA), the Football Association of Wales, and the English Football League failed in their duty of care by exposing generations of players to known risks associated with repetitive heading.
Following the verdict, John said the sport no longer needed more scientific studies.
"We don't need any more research," he said. "We need help for families whose loved ones are now living in care homes because of these brain diseases."
FA maintains research is ongoing

The Football Association responded by expressing sympathy while maintaining that scientific research into the relationship between heading and long-term neurological disease remains ongoing.
The governing body highlighted measures already introduced to improve player safety, including concussion protocols, heading guidelines, and significant investment in independent medical research.
The FA also confirmed that heading has now been phased out entirely for children under the age of 11 as part of efforts to reduce potential long-term risks.
Another case adding to growing concern

The ruling follows a similar inquest earlier this year into the death of former Scotland, Manchester United and Leeds United defender Gordon McQueen, whose brain was also found to show evidence of CTE.
Medical studies continue to strengthen concerns surrounding football and neurodegenerative diseases. A landmark study jointly funded by the FA and the Professional Footballers' Association in 2019 concluded that professional footballers are three and a half times more likely to die from neurodegenerative illnesses than people of the same age in the general population.
For many campaigners, Wednesday's ruling represents another significant milestone in the push for greater recognition, protection and long-term support for former players affected by football-related brain disease.




Comments