Brooklyn Beckham’s Battle With the Family Legacy: $1 Million, Drama, and Ongoing Controversy
- Jun 21
- 6 min read
Brooklyn Beckham has reportedly been paid as much as $1 million for his latest DoorDash advertising campaign, as criticism continues to mount over claims that he is capitalizing on his highly publicized estrangement from his family.
The Beckham family remains embroiled in a bitter and increasingly public fallout, and Brooklyn has recently faced accusations of profiting from the ongoing dispute through a two-part commercial campaign for the food delivery giant. The controversy has centered not only on the reported value of the deal but also on what many perceive as subtle references to his fractured relationship with his parents.

Just five months after declaring that he and his wife, Nicola Peltz, wished to live a more private life, Brooklyn found himself at the center of another media storm. Critics and fans alike questioned the decision to participate in a campaign that appeared to draw attention to the very family drama he had previously said he wanted to leave behind. Many social media users branded the move “classless,” arguing that he was turning a painful family situation into a commercial opportunity.
According to reports, Brooklyn received at least $1 million, approximately £753,000, for the campaign. One source was quoted as saying: “Anything that makes him money is good — it shows that his brand is there and flourishing.”
Members of the Beckham family, however, were reportedly far less enthusiastic. A source told Page Six: “Brooklyn claims he wants peace and privacy and nothing to do with his family — now he’s trying to cash in on it all.”
In the teaser released earlier this week, Brooklyn appeared on screen with a knowing smile and said: “You’re probably wondering why I’m watching the FIFA World Cup 2026 from home… It’s a long story.” The remark immediately sparked speculation, with many viewers interpreting it as a reference to his strained relationship with David and Victoria Beckham.

Friends close to the Beckham family reportedly found the campaign particularly hurtful. Several sources claimed that David and Victoria were deeply upset by the implication that their son’s family estrangement could be used as the basis for a marketing campaign. Some insiders described the couple as “devastated and inconsolable” by the latest development.
The longer version of the advertisement, released shortly afterward, intensified the backlash. Even some of Brooklyn’s longtime supporters expressed disappointment, with many questioning why he continued to benefit from public interest in the Beckham name while simultaneously distancing himself from the family.
Reports suggest the campaign was negotiated through Range Media Partners, the talent management company Brooklyn joined in 2021. It has also been claimed that Schillings, the London-based law firm representing Brooklyn and Nicola, may not have been involved in arranging the DoorDash deal.
Brand expert Nick Ede estimated that someone with Brooklyn’s social media reach and public profile could command between £250,000 and £500,000 for a campaign of this scale. The reported seven-figure payment therefore attracted significant attention, although some marketing analysts believe the actual amount could have been lower.

The criticism has been amplified by the fact that Brooklyn is not widely viewed as someone in need of additional financial security. He is believed to have accumulated a personal fortune worth around $10 million. Meanwhile, Nicola Peltz, the daughter of billionaire businessman Nelson Peltz, comes from one of America’s wealthiest families. For many observers, the controversy is therefore less about money and more about symbolism.
The dispute between Brooklyn and his family has been developing for some time. Earlier this year, he released a six-page statement in which he accused his family of placing excessive importance on public image, endorsements, and commercial ventures. He described his parents as “performative” and insisted that he no longer wished to be associated with what he referred to as “Brand Beckham.”
Tensions reportedly escalated further when Brooklyn blocked his parents on Instagram late last year. Lawyers representing Brooklyn and Nicola subsequently requested that all communication with the Beckham family be conducted through legal representatives. The move was widely interpreted as evidence that the relationship had deteriorated beyond an ordinary family disagreement.
Brooklyn has previously alleged that David and Victoria exerted excessive control over various aspects of his life and attempted to create distance between him and Nicola. Such accusations shocked many observers, given the image of unity and support that the Beckham family had cultivated for decades.

Yet Brooklyn’s relationship with fame has always been complicated. Born in 1999 as the eldest son of football icon David Beckham and former Spice Girls star Victoria Beckham, he entered the public eye from the moment he was born. Few celebrity children have grown up under such intense scrutiny, and his life has unfolded largely in front of cameras.
Unlike his father, Brooklyn never established himself in professional football. Instead, he explored several creative paths, beginning with photography. In 2016, at just 16 years old, he was selected to photograph a campaign for Burberry. The decision sparked fierce criticism from professional photographers, many of whom argued that the opportunity reflected celebrity privilege rather than merit.
Photographer Chris Floyd famously described the appointment as a “devaluation of photography,” arguing that it contradicted the values of hard work and perseverance associated with David and Victoria Beckham. The criticism intensified when Brooklyn released his photography book What I See in 2017. Although intended as a personal artistic project, the book was widely mocked by critics who questioned both the quality of the images and the circumstances that allowed such a young amateur photographer to secure a major publishing deal.
Following his photography ambitions, Brooklyn enrolled at Parsons School of Design in New York. However, he left the program after only a short period, fueling public skepticism about his ability to commit to a long-term career path.
His next major reinvention came during the COVID-19 pandemic, when he began sharing cooking content online. What started as casual social media posts eventually evolved into the digital series Cookin’ With Brooklyn. While the project generated substantial attention, it also became the subject of widespread ridicule after reports revealed that each episode reportedly cost around $100,000 to produce and involved a professional crew of more than sixty people.

Despite the criticism, Brooklyn remained committed to building a culinary identity. In 2024, he launched his hot sauce brand, Cloud23. The name referenced both David Beckham’s famous number 23 jersey and June 23, the date he proposed to Nicola Peltz. At the time, Brooklyn expressed hope that the venture would allow the public to see him as an entrepreneur in his own right rather than simply as the son of famous parents.
Ironically, many of his promotional campaigns continued to rely heavily on references to his family. In one advertisement for Whole Foods ahead of the Super Bowl, Brooklyn repeatedly mentioned David Beckham and built much of the commercial’s humor around conversations with his father. Critics argued that such campaigns undermined his efforts to establish an independent identity.
Away from business, Brooklyn’s personal life has remained a constant source of public fascination. After several high-profile relationships during his teenage years, he began dating Nicola Peltz in 2019. Their romance progressed quickly, leading to an engagement less than a year later and a lavish wedding in 2022 that reportedly cost tens of millions of dollars.
The marriage initially appeared to unite two influential families from the worlds of entertainment and business. However, speculation about tensions between Nicola and Victoria Beckham emerged soon after the wedding. Although both women publicly denied any serious conflict, media reports continued to suggest disagreements surrounding wedding preparations, fashion choices, and family dynamics. Many observers believe these issues contributed to the wider rift that later developed between Brooklyn and his family.
Today, Brooklyn is reportedly focusing on his latest entrepreneurial project, a burger restaurant concept known as Beck’s Buns. Sources claim he has received support and guidance through connections associated with his father-in-law, Nelson Peltz. The venture represents yet another attempt to establish a stable professional identity after years of experimenting with different careers.
Whether the Beckham family feud can eventually be resolved remains uncertain. What is clear, however, is that Brooklyn Beckham continues to occupy a unique and often uncomfortable position between privilege and expectation. As the son of one of the world’s most famous celebrity couples, he has enjoyed opportunities that few people could ever imagine. Yet every career move, business venture, and public statement is scrutinized through the lens of his family name.
The DoorDash controversy has once again highlighted the central tension that has defined much of Brooklyn Beckham’s adult life: the desire to stand on his own while remaining inseparably linked to one of the most recognizable brands in modern celebrity culture. Whether he ultimately succeeds in forging an identity beyond the Beckham legacy may prove to be the defining challenge of his career.




Comments